Year 5 PSHE Coverage Autumn 2
Keeping Myself Safe
Protective Behaviours Lesson 1
- Understand words can hurt other people’s feelings
- Understand how behaviour and language can have an impact on others
- Know how to keep myself safe
Protective Behaviours Lesson 2
- Know the difference between a fun to feel scared and a risking on purpose activity
- Understand the importance of choice, control and time limit in making safer choices
Protective Behaviours Lesson 3
- Know that no one has the right to hurt children
- Understand that we can talk with someone about anything
- Understand that sometimes secrets can be unsafe and must not be kept
Protective Behaviours Lesson 4
Networks and Telling
- Can say what the characteristics of a good friendship are
- Know how to get help if they feel unsafe
- Know to ask for help more than once if they need to
Thinking About Habits
- Explain what a habit is, giving examples;
- Describe why and how a habit can be hard to change.
- Recognise that there are positive and negative risks;
- Explain how to weigh up risk factors when making a decision;
- Describe some of the possible outcomes of taking a risk.
- Demonstrate strategies to deal with both face-to-face and online bullying;
- Demonstrate strategies and skills for supporting others who are bullied;
- Recognise and describe the difference between online and face-to-face bullying.
- Define what is meant by a dare;
- Explain why someone might give a dare;
- Suggest ways of standing up to someone who gives a dare.
- Recognise which situations are risky;
- Explore and share their views about decision making when faced with a risky situation;
- Suggest what someone should do when faced with a risky situation.
Play, Like, Share
- Consider what information is safe/unsafe to share offline and online, and reflect on the consequences of not keeping personal information private;
- Recognise that people aren’t always who they appear to be online and explain risks of being friends online with a person they have not met face-to-face;
- Know how to protect personal information online;
- Recognise disrespectful behaviour online and know how to respond to it.
Drugs: True or False?
- Understand some of the complexities of categorising drugs;
- Know that all medicines are drugs but not all drugs are medicines;
- Understand ways in which medicines can be helpful or harmful and used safely or unsafely.
Smoking: What is Normal?
/Would You Risk it?
- Understand the actual norms around smoking and the reasons for common misperceptions of these.
- Identify risk factors in a given situation (involving smoking) and consider outcomes of risk taking in this situation, including emotional risks;
- Understand the actual norms around smoking/alcohol and the reasons for common misperceptions of these.